Explorers Strings (A & B) and Intermezzo Strings do not require an audition.
Students must audition for placement into Chamber Strings and VSYO (please see ‘Classes’ section for description) on Monday, August 28, 2019 (Fall) and Monday, January 13, 2020 (Spring). Sign-up for Fall auditions on the SGSP Bulletin Board (across from the Band Room). Spring auditions are by appointment, please email email@example.com
String players in Chamber Strings and VSYO are required to take regular weekly private lessons.
Even though there is not a required audition, the student must demonstrate these abilities in Intermezzo Strings. Violins and violas must demonstrate the ability to use 4th finger, demonstrate a proper bow hand with a curved pinky and bent thumb, as well as the following articulations: staccato, legato, tie, and slur. Cellos and basses must demonstrate the ability to shift, as well as the following articulations: staccato, legato, tie, and slur. Students should be able to play D major, A major, G major, and C major one octave scales and read music without writing in finger numbers or note names.
- Prepare a two-octave major or minor scale of choice.
- Prepare Suzuki Book 3-4 or equivalent solo piece. *
* Must demonstrate shifting and vibrato ability within solo piece, a beautiful tone, and good posture.
- Prepare one major and one minor 2 or 3 octave scale. Display abilities for good tone quality, accurate intonation and rhythm, as well as shifting and vibrato.
- Prepare Suzuki Book 4-6 or equivalent solo piece or GMEA High School All-State Etude.
- Sight Reading
Auditions for VSYO are on Monday, August 28, 2019 (Fall) and Monday, January 13, 2020 (Spring) or by appointment. Sign-up for Fall auditions on the SGSP Bulletin Board (across from the Band Room). Spring auditions are by appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wind players should prepare two scales from all of the major scales. All-State style is optional.
Prepare two etudes or short pieces of contrasting style (one slow, one fast).
Placement will be determined by the Principal Conductor of the VSYO.